|SKILL LEVEL:||No Experience Necessary!|
|SPOTS:||8 (Minimum guests: 1)|
Designed by IMFGA/ACMG certified Mountain Guides/CAA Operations Level II Professionals, our Avalanche Skills Training Level 1 is highly regarded in the industry. This course is tailored exclusively for skiers and snowboarders that wish to venture into the backcountry to learn about hazards and how to manage and/or mitigate them. Our student to guide ratio is 8:1 as this ensures maximum safety and learning!
If you wish to join us for an additional day of avalanche skills training, please check out our Avalanche Skills Training Max-Plus Course for a Plus Day!
111 East 5th Ave, Vancouver, BC V5T 4L1
Day 1 – Meet at the pre-arranged location at 09:00am where we will cover theory in the classroom and end at 17:00pm.
Day 2 – Meet in front of Whistler Gondola at 08:00am and head into the field to apply what was learned the day before. We will end the day with a quick debrief at 17:00pm.
- Avalanche Skills Training Level 1 Certificate (upon successful completion)
- Backcountry Avalanche Awareness Book
- Avaluator Booklet and Avaluator Slope Assessment Field Card
- Canadian Avalanche Association Mandatory Student Fee
- Companion Rescue Field Card
- Free access to our online Avalanche Trip Planning Resource & Updates
- Use of Snow Study Kit with Thermometer, Crystal Screen and Loupe
- Online Resources
- *We provide Alpine Touring Gear (excluding boots) at $35/day + tax and Avalanche Safety Kit rentals at $15/day + tax
What You'll Need
- Lunch, snacks, and water
- Pen, pencil, paper, laptop, and smartphone
- Weatherproof shell jacket and pants
- Down or synthetic insulated jacket
- Mid layer fleece top
- Insulating top and bottom under layers and socks
- Warm hat/tuc and balaclava
- 2 pairs of gloves, mittens (optional)
- Sunglasses and sunscreen
- Backpack-25-35 Litres
- Alpine Touring skis/splitboard, skins, bindings*, and boots
- Avalanche Safety Kit (transceiver, shovel, probe)*
- First Aid Kit with blister kit
- Rite in the Rain notebook and writing utensil (all optional)
- Map, compass, GPS (all optional)
- Lunch, snacks, water, and thermos (optional)